[colug-432] configuration management tools

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:14:45 EDT 2019

I have a need to generate configuration files for a bunch of different
(some open-source, some semi-proprietary) applications that run on a bunch
of different systems.  The format of the configuration files differs
between applications -- TOML, json, free-form text, etc. -- and the
contents vary between systems for a given application (but in a readily
identifiable way - the applications/system form various mesh networks).

For example, I need to set up tor hidden services between hosts and I want
each host to use a unique service to connect to each other host -- so I
need to configure the services on a host and I need to configure the
applications on the other hosts to use the each of the destination hosts'
services.

I don't want to actually push the configurations to the hosts in real-time,
but rather I want to store them locally on the configuration system (for
Reasons).

I know there are several popular configuration management tools, but I have
zero experience with them -- some/most seem to be tailored to actually
manipulate each configured machine (vs. capturing the per-machine
configurations locally).

Anyone use one that fits the bill?

Thanks,
Jeff