[colug-432] Any suggestions for cross-platform heterogeneous print sharing ?

Damien Calloway damiencalloway at fastmail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:05:07 EDT 2020

Hello all !

I find myself in an interesting predicament - I have Macs, a Windows
device, two FreeBSD laptops, and some Linux devices that I would like to
use to share my one printer - a Canon Pixma 3520.

It has Wifi and can do AirPrint - but honestly, it is not working out
well, and AirPrint in particular is Mac exclusive. It can connect via
USB, and is well supported on Macs and Windows - but the open source
printer community hates this printer.

In the immediate short term, I am wondering if a Raspberry Pi plugged
into the printer via USB will allow me to at least print via CUPS (the
device can also scan). In the long term, and especially if I replace
this unit - what make/model of printer will play nicely with all my
computers ? Do I have to look at a higher end SOHO/SMB type device with
Ethernet support in order to get what I need ? Will tethering to a
Rasberry Pi be the best answer in general ?

- Damien