[colug-432] Care and feeding of distro packages

Rick Hornsby rhornsby at ktzr.net
Thu Jul 15 21:20:46 EDT 2021

> On Jul 15, 2021, at 19:08, Damien Calloway <damiencalloway at fastmail.com> wrote:
>

> Yes, this was very informative, thank you! The rest of my question are Debian specific. I joined their new maintainers list, so I will dig further.

I never thought of a “new maintainers list”. While it’s certainly more up-front work for the veteran maintainers to onboard new folks, it’s kind of genius. If used well, it could help significantly lower the bar to entry and create a less intimidating/more welcoming shallow end of the pool.

While I try really hard not to be a BOFH/RTFM type, I’m as guilty as anyone of too often looking at the pile I of work I’m not getting done, briefly wondering - just before getting buried again - how to add to it “teach someone else so they can eventually do some of it”. I like this “new maintainers list” idea.