[colug-jobs] two gigs
skippy at skippy.net
Tue Aug 12 10:52:10 EDT 2014
A recruiter sent these to me. I'm happily employed and not looking, but
others might be interested.
jgiancaterino at quicksolutions.com
directly with any questions.
##### Cardinal Health #####
JOB TITLE: System Engineer - Linux
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: As a member of the Midrange Project Delivery
team, you will be responsible for the building of LINUX servers and the
necessary components (hardware/software) to achieve project goals.
You'll work closely with project management, technical services and
support group, external vendor partners, and the client to ensure a
smooth implementation and transition of the servers and related
products. This candidate will also be responsible for the documentation
and staff training on their aspect of the project.
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Ability to work closely with the project team to gather and interpret
requirements for HP Hardware and the associated Linux Operating System
and Software. Then build servers based on these designs.
* Proficient with installation of Novell SuSE Enterprise Linux on HP
* Knowledgeable in VMware and blade server's technologies.
* Strong knowledge in the implementation of "High Availability" (HA)
concepts and ability to implement the various vendors'
software/solutions in this environment.
* This is NOT a Linux admin position doing daily break/fix tasks, but
rather an engineering position for the individual who is working to
become a senior system engineer or a system architect.
* Knowledgeable in Red Hat Linux a plus
* Thorough understand of Storage concepts including disk partitioning
with LVM on Enterprise Storage and its relationship to LINUX servers.
* Capable of debugging implementation issues.
* Capable of writing in various administrative scripting languages.
Education or Equivalent: BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
/ training towards technical certifications.
Qualifications / Skills Requirements:
* Experience with HP Hardware and the associated Linux Operating System
* Experience working with products on a variety of Open Systems
* Experience as an Engineer providing support for large projects from
requirements through implementation
* Able to analyze, develop, and enhance engineering workflow processes.
* Knowledgeable in Microsoft Project with the ability to create, modify
and execute implementation plans.
* Excellent analytical abilities, resulting in problem resolution
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Familiarity with networking technologies
* Working knowledge of configuration of fiber-based tape and disk
* Ability to multi-task
* Good co-ordination and organization skills.
* Strong oral and written communication skills
#### Motorists Insurance ####
To design, test, implement and support enterprise server technologies
for the Motorists Mutual Insurance Company, based on appropriate
redundancy, scalability, security and manageability requirements. This
would include the physical, virtual and logical hardware and operating
system components as well as supporting or ancillary infrastructure
applications. Guide the design, implementation and maintenance of the
server infrastructure. Interact with various teams and vendors as a
subject matter expert on existing infrastructure standards, logical
infrastructure services and existing deployment and architecture.
Provide direction or assistance to project and support teams in
evaluating technology solutions consistent with corporate strategies and
1. Perform analysis, design, planning, securing, installation and
configuration of enterprise server infrastructure.
2. Design, install, maintain and configure physical, virtual and logical
server infrastructure and associated hardware, firmware and software
3. Develop and maintain comprehensive policies, procedures, standards,
architecture diagrams and documentation, including inventory, security,
licensing and configuration management of server infrastructure.
4. Develop and implement measures to analyze workloads, capacity
utilization, and service level commitments of server infrastructure.
5. Monitor overall capacity and performance metrics; apply changes to
improve utilization, stability, and availability with regard to
established technology directions and business unit service level
6. Work with customers, project and support teams, and vendors to
resolve connectivity, stability or performance issues within the server
7. Research and evaluate new server based technologies and prepare
formal product selection proposals and solution recommendations.
8. Coordinate, plan, manage, and complete system changes to support,
team, user, and application initiatives and minimize service disruptions
while adhering to security policies, operating procedures and industry
9. Coordinate activities, provide guidance and technical assistance to
other team members when installing, configuring and securing server
infrastructure and logical components.
10. Develop skills and technical depth through product research,
training, mentoring junior team members, and vendor road-maps that
provide technology differentiation, direction and viability of vendors
and their products
11. Perform root cause analysis, for server infrastructure service
disruptions and performance issues; making written recommendations for
technical and policy improvements.
12. Develop Request For Proposals, proposal review and aid in the
selection of consulting and other external services
13. Collaborate with user management and vendors to; test, evaluate and
implement new technology; improve business processes; reduce complexity
14. Assist management in the creation and management of operating and
15. Coordinate with other teams on backup requirements and disaster
16. Work with service providers by giving requirements, understanding
capabilities, and arranging for training and assistance
17. Lead departmental initiatives and projects and coordinate or
delegate tasks as needed to meet technical or delivery objectives
1. Participate in Night and weekend work as required.
2. Participate in the on-call rotation.
3. Periodic travel to other locations is required.
4. Obtains and maintains required certifications.
5. Participate in vendor based hardware competency and self-maintainer
6. Perform other duties as assigned
MAX SERVICE OBJECTIVE AND EXPECTATIONS:
Exhibit an ongoing dedication to MAX Service. Actions that exemplify
this commitment include and are not limited to:
1. Providing exemplary customer service and resolving problems
with solutions that are fair to customers and right for the company.
2. Targeting continuous improvement in processes and operations
that will enhance service and boost overall performance.
3. Reaching high standards of individual performance that support
company objectives and maximize resources.
4. Offering legendary service by finding answers to questions,
making time for customers, and showing your commitment to serving their
5. Accepting personal accountability for quality results, for
treating others professionally and respectfully, and for using
productive communication that fosters teamwork and collaboration.
KNOWLEDGE. SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum of five years experience designing, sizing, implementing,
administering and supporting server based operating systems on
enterprise class hardware. A bachelor's degree in computer
science/engineering or equivalent experience is required. Applicable
industry and product certifications are desired. Possess the ability to
understand technical manuals, equipment and software specifications,
contract terms and conditions, statements of work and general
installation, configuration, administration and support of server
hardware, software and operating systems; solid understanding of
network protocols, host name resolution methods, system access methods,
remote administration; understanding of identity management services
and data access roles and controls; able to express complex technical
concepts effectively both verbally and in writing to people with varying
degrees of technical expertise; the ability to effectively interact with
people in a courteous and tactful manner; excellent problem solving and
decision making skills; and subscribes to a continuous improvement
philosophy. Must be able to lead team efforts as required to complete
project objectives and be familiar with project tracking tools. This
position requires the knowledge and skills to design, document, size,
implement, support and maintain highly available server infrastructure,
operating systems and components with limited supervision or assistance
in a structured environment that adheres to change control processes and
security best practices. Must possess expertise in; clustering
technologies; file system design and security, troubleshooting,
configuration and tuning; virtualization technologies; storage design
considerations; system maintenance, upgrade and deployment methodologies
as well as backup, replication and recovery technologies.
More information about the colug-jobs