[colug-432] 24-bit Sound Input

Dave Maxwell dmaxwell at columbus.rr.com
Mon Dec 14 20:22:46 EST 2009

On Mon December 14 2009, you wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I am really happy with my edirol R-09HR.
>
> It is a standalone recorder, 24 bit .
>

> Perhaps something like that would give you what you need , and also
> serve as a fun hand held recorder ?
>
> I see it at $300 or so.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016MLUKU/ref=asc_df_B0016MLUKU984016?smid=ATVPDK
>IKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0016
>MLUKU
>
> I think I found mine a little bit cheaper.
>
> The level indicators are nice and visible, the built in mics, if you
> ever used them, seem pretty good to me.

That is a nice bit of kit but a tad expensive.   Creative has a USB X-Fi that
purports to be 24 bit but I haven't been able to find detailed specs such
that I can sure they aren't doing goofy things like padding 16 bits out to 24
or apply weird forms of equalization or pre-emphasis.  It is supported in
Linux but the drivers seem dodgy and were released by Creative half-baked
because they couldn't make it work (though improved since).  Still, it can be
had for $60 provided I could get the skinny on it's real specs and how good
support for it is these days.

It turns out in general inexpensive 24-bit USB audio doesn't really exist. So
I may have to go as high as $130-$150 for a used pro device if the Creative
device turns out to have disgusting flaws which their products often do.

I did go a similar route to digitize my VHS collection. I got a Kingwin
KM-31BK which can take composite in and record straight to VHS on a SATA
hardrive which you chuck in the unit yourself..  It turned out to run an
embedded Linux though I did have to do something about it's unfortunate
respect for Macrovision.  I then used avidemux to edit out commercials and
such and then crushed them down with x264.  It worked well.

Dave
--
Don't be irreplaceable, if you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.