[colug-432] Ubuntu as a router?

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Thu Oct 1 16:41:24 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 10:33:04 pm Steve Roggenkamp wrote:
> First disable avahi.  It just messes things up, big time in my experience.

Unless you want to access your Linux box with Apple Zeroconf. :-)

I actually haven't found it to get in the way at all. I ignored it for a long
time, and now I actually use it a bit.

> Next, do a 'man resolvconf' and RTFM.  It used to be that you could edit
> one file, /etc/resolv.conf, to set up you DNS resolver framework.  Now
> it's a whole friggen framework with multiple directories under the
> /etc/resolvconf directory.  The various files is this directory tree
> overwrite the changes you make to /etc/resolv.conf, as if the daemon
> knows better than you what you need!

Much easier: apt-get remove --purge resolveconf

The resolvconf package is what does all the stuff you're complaining about
here. Get rid of it and you'll be happier if you want a static configuration.
(On the other hand, it's really handy for a dynamic configuration.)

But I agree with Joseph Fannin's comments: NetworkManager is probably the
main culprit, and killing that will probably solve many problems.

> Finally, blow away Ubuntu and install (Free|Net|Open)BSD that hasn't
> been chasing the Microsoft BS.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a change
> from Linux in terms of system administration, but at least it doesn't
> try to think too much for you in this area.  Yet.

Personally I'm happy that my Linux laptop Just Works on whatever network I'm
on, and that I don't need to teach my wife how to edit resolv.conf or
understand ifconfig. Yet somehow I was able to set up an Ubuntu server just
fine.