[colug-432] Ubuntu as a router?

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Fri Oct 2 11:03:33 EDT 2009

On Friday 02 October 2009 10:21:40 am Larry Howell wrote:
> Another possibility for your Ubuntu system would be to "apt-get purge
> network-manager" to completely remove Network Manager (and related
> helpers), its config files, and give you control of the network related
> *.conf files again.  The downside is that it may be reinstalled on an
> update.  I've not actually tried to remove N-M, so YMMV.

It's unlikely that an upgrade would put network-manager back if you remove it
with apt-get. The only way that would happen is if a later version of the
system adds network-manager to the dependency list of something else you have
installed. Right now (in jaunty) the only things that depend on it are the
various desktop network-manager applets.