[colug-432] Ubuntu as a router?

Joseph Fannin jfannin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:34:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 10:21:40AM -0400, Larry Howell wrote:
> If you want to stay with Linux and keep apt, I'd suggest going to Debian
> Lenny server (no GUI desktop).  Debian server doesn't have Network
> Manager that overwrites your *.conf files.  IMO the Ubuntu developers
> have attempted to "idiot enable" the recent releases, and have created
> challenges for a knowledgeable user to configure his system, so I only
> use it on my notebook which I often use to show Linux to Windows users.
>   I use Debian on my 4 other desktops and 3 servers.

If you don't install the whole GUI shebang, a base Ubuntu install is
pretty much indistinguishable from a base Debian install from a system
administration point of view.  I run Ubuntu on my NAT box and not
Debian because all my other computers have Ubuntu, and this way I
don't have to worry about minor differences in program versions and
config file locations, etc.

I would recommend anyone approaching Ubuntu from a background of Linux
experience use the "alternate installer" -- which is really the Debian
installer -- and probably start it in "expert mode" too: that way you
have a choice not to install the GUI and all the autoconf stuff in the
first place.  The Install icon on the desktop of an Ubuntu live CD is
really only good for those who want an Ubuntu desktop with a few mouse
clicks and a minimum of technical knowledge (and more power to them!).

I do have resolvconf on that box, because I use it -- but I had to
explicitly ask apt to install it.

--
Joseph Fannin
jfannin at gmail.com