[colug-432] Emailing COLUG list

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Oct 8 12:29:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, ***  wrote:

We have a couple of users of gmail getting snagged and tossed
off the list again.  I post this with the affected
party's name elided, so that my thinking is not obscure

*** wrote:
> Hmmm, odd...I used to be on the COLUG list as recently as early
> summer.  I had started to wonder why the list traffic had died down,
> and thought it was because of summer.  Then I just stopped thinking
> about it :-).
>
> Could something have happened earlier this year that might have
> dropped my email from the list?  I've resubscribed and will send
> again.

There was an interval where gmail was reacting differently to
the delays and retries to the greylisting we use, which caused
many desubscribes for people using gmail provided services.

The executive summary is: google was hammering a single
mailserver from multiple IP's and giving up in short order on
delivering email.

This is contrary to the internet historical practice of
waiting for a bit and retrying for up to five days -- not RFC
mandated, but what the internet community pre Google designed
for, and a design that a low capacity receiving host can
accomodate

Google gmail had the effect of looking like a DDoS attack, and
frankly .. was

The strawman is: people 'expect' fast email delivery to
justify the hammering.  Of course people have become
acculturated to such -- but email was designed to be a
leisurely medium, and not an instantaneous one.  Certainly
Google's approach (backed by a funding model) works at the
expense of harming others load management approaches.

Google (and anyone) have the _capability_ to put all
connections to a given IP block behind a reverse load
balancer, which would cause them to not be caught by
greylists, but they choose not to spend the funds to do so.
Their choice. but they thereby propose shift their load and
costs to others.

commercially reasonable but braindead as a member of a
community.

The milter software maintainer and developer has grafted new
static 'bad actor' whitelists which include google. These3 are
periodically updated.  A distributed list approach is really
the only remote dynamic system I can see that solved the
problemm well -- the milter system already 'learns' locally
offered IP's as part of its dynamic passlist model.

It may be that there is a temporary solution with a refresh
the staic whitelist data with 'the latest and greatest'--
there have not been security issues with the milter software
(which are my usual trigger to work on a system or package).

But at the end of the day, this is Google passing costs on to
me and that happens when I have spare cycles.  People using
gmail may decide it is not such a good tool for our mailing
list [putting to one side the personal privacy concern of the
implicit exposure of all that is posted into a well-organized
never-forgetting corpus -- that horse is long since out of the
barn]

-- Russ herrold