[colug-432] Hadoop interest ?

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Wed Dec 15 10:22:51 EST 2010

Hi There COLUG,

On Dec 13, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Christopher Stolfi wrote:

> I think these would be great topics to have meetups around... It might
> be worth casting a wider net from Hadoop and Cassandra to any of the
> newly mainstream NoSQL solutions.  I have some experience with Hadoop
> (love how easy Cloudera makes it),  but am also starting to work with
> Membase and MongoDB.

I just learned of Membase, and already I hear of it in production. I am guessing that the layer on top of memcache is fairly thin, so that it can be trusted at this early stage ?

Yes ? No ?

Summarize Mongo for the masses please.

> I'm more of an Operations guy, so learning how to make these things
> withstand failures is tops on my list....but any good discussion
> around it is a win. It'd be nice to see Columbus foster these newer
> technologies....we can be webscale too ;-)  (This little cartoon is
> very NSFW (language), but is a funny little bit about MySQL vs NoSQL
> http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6995033/ )

Thanks for sharing that.. now we can all say "is it webscale ? " and smile ?

That video tore through the MySQL and Cloudera community like lightning.

We all get that fever to do or use something because it is the next big thing... I think exploring the new stuff is always worthwhile, wether you are facebook or not.

I know I have to spend some time learning new stuff or I go crazy.

--
Tom