[colug-432] virtualization, clouds, and infrastructure

Mike Warfe jmwarfe at darwin.EPBI.cwru.edu
Thu Dec 16 11:02:12 EST 2010

I've been using Citrix XenServer since Oracle purchased VirtualIron a few
years back. Citrix does offer a freemium version that includes
live migration and can use iSCSI, FC, and or NFS backends to pool several
servers together. We use bonded GigE with Equallogic for our backend. The
downside of Citrix is that the management application is Windows only but I
believe they are going to a web application soon. They also provide cmd
tools and scripting. VMware is obviously the gold standard but Citrix gets
the job done and is much cheaper.