[colug-432] virtualization, clouds, and infrastructure

Scott McCarty scott.mccarty at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:51:08 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Angelo McComis <angelo at mccomis.com> wrote:

> Agree 1000% on your approach... Linux does bonded/LACP very well, but if
> you can afford 10GigE, you're probably not huddled around a camp stove
> figuring out how to pay for VMware, right?

Honestly, I don't think that is the reason "not use" vmware. We are paying
for RHEL5 now. The bonus is, every server that sits on top of a RHEL
virtualization platform also gets support. Also, KVM which sits on RHEL
integrates with our extremely sophisticated SNMP monitoring ESXi couldn't be
integrated  as easily if at all. Finally, we don't have windows desktops so
a VMware solution would require a windows desktop somewhere. We don't even
have one. VMware server has a web interface, but KVM kills it in
performance.

We use DL380s, not exactly cheap, they come with 4 GB interface, so I figure
why not use them. Honeslty, most of our apps (web) are read heavy, so DRBD
in a shared nothing environment over 3Gb fiber works out nice. The shared
nothing really is more important than you might think. We got burned by a
SAN about 5 years ago, and we have never been quite the same. Also, we had a
hug EMC with a Broacade when I worked at American Greetings and remember
that thing broke once and took down the main database. SANS are NOT
invincible. Convenient, but not full proof.

My thoughts
Scott M