[colug-432] sendmail using wrong domain

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Feb 11 13:28:46 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Eric Floehr <eric at intellovations.com> wrote:
> Can I assume that you've ruled out something in sendmail.cf (i.e. Dj
> directive)?  Are all the RHEL servers identically configured?  Do they all
> have similar host.osu.edu and host.dept.osu.edu domains?

I have not modified sendmail.cf. I've never needed to in the past.

Interestingly, this is the only server in our department that is
host.osu.edu and host.dept.ohio-state.edu. Although when I installed
it, I'm pretty sure I only used host.osu.edu when setting up the
network.

> It seems to me the question is, why does sendmail think the host domain is
> host.dept.osu.edu rather than host.osu.edu.  Is that a fair statement?

Yes, that is exactly correct.

> If so, it seems sendmail.cf is one of the few places you haven't mentioned
> where it could be picking up that domain.

Again, I haven't touched sendmail.cf. I've never had to do so in the past.

I'm not sure where host.dept.ohio-state.edu is even entering the
equation here. It's certainly not defined anywhere on the server that
I can find.

If necessary, I can have that entry removed from the DNS configuration
for our zone, too.

Thanks,
Scott