[colug-432] Mo' bulged electrolytic capacitors: Westinghouse LCD Monitor/TV, circa '06

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Mon Jun 7 00:23:18 EDT 2010

On 31 May 2010, at 16:03, jep200404 wrote:

> The plague continues.
>
> This time it a Westinghouse LCD monitor/TV, apparently made in 2006.
>
> Nominal Measured[1]
> 1000 µF 356 µF
> 1000 µF 289 µF
> 220 µF 427 pF
> 220 µF 537 pF
>
> This time the symptoms were a backlight that would not turn on,
> and when the when the power was plugged in,
> I could hear high frequency squealing for a while.

My scanner makes a high pitched sound.

Very high, hard to notice it exactly but then you are finally like..
Ah Hah it is the scanner. Unplugging brings relief.

Might the high pitch sound reflect cap issues in general ?

Perhaps armed with a microphone I could test all my equipment ?

What other issues, beside bad design, lead to squealing electronics ?

--
Tom

Tom Hanlon
tom at functionalmedia.com