[colug-432] capacitance and Knoppix

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:53:27 EST 2010

On 11/6/10, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com <jep200404 at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>> You have 1000 µF capacitors just lying around?
>
> Yes.

Jim isn't the only one.  I fixed a broken 15" Dell a few months back -
I looked that model up on the 'net and it was notorious for dying
because two particular caps were being overdriven.  The recommended
fix included the suggestion to replace them with the same values
(~1000uF and ~680uF) at the next voltage level (16V -> 25V ISTR).  I
had the exact parts I needed in my box of scavenged electrolytic caps.
 5 minutes after I got the RF shield off, it was all happy.  No
additional purchase required.

-ethan