[colug-432] capacitance and Knoppix

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Nov 6 23:04:31 EDT 2010

Hi,

You wrote:

> Where'd you get a capacitance meter?  I need one.

I bought my decades ago at Dayton Hamvention.
I think it cost about $30.

I am thinking of buying one of these:

   http://www.aade.com/lcmeter.htm

> What's the deal with the spares?

I pull them from boards that are being scrapped.

> You have 1000 µF capacitors just lying around?

Yes.

> What release of Knoppix?

V6.2.1

> Do you know if Klaus (or anyone) is working on an update?

I do not _know_, but expect that he's continuing Knoppix.

> The "live" Fedora and Kubuntu CDs are okay, but there
> was something magical about how Knoppix "just works", and it never
> seemed as heavy as the installable flavors.

Yup. It's a difference in focus. You can install Knoppix on a
hard drive, but the focus is on use as a live-CD, whereas the
*buntu focus is on hard drive installation, not on using it as
a live CD. *buntu live disks are _slow_ to boot.