[colug-432] Help with job opportunities and networking

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Wed Nov 10 08:45:44 EST 2010

Good morning.  I saw three potentially interesting job notices on Dice
this morning.  I wonder if anyone has any ideas of what companies they
might be for, and have any contacts they might be able to help me leverage.

First one is listed as "Solaris/Linux Engineer" through Collabera.  12+m
contract.  It appears to be mostly related to automating systems
installations, mostly mentions Red Hat Cobbler and Puppet, and driving
Solaris migrations to Linux.  I'd want to contact the hiring company
directly, as I'd like to see if 12+ could be changed to FTE.  I'm kind
of in a place right now where I don't want to be as worried about
looking for a new job every year.

Second one listed as "System Server and Storage Manager", but described
as "Database System Server & Storage Manager".  FT through Fast Switch.
Supervise 8-10, general manager type activities, no real details.

Last one listed as "Software Engineering Manager" for Fiserv.  This one
might be a stretch based on the wide breadth of technologies they list
and that it is really more in the software development side of things
rather than the systems side of things.  Still might be really
interesting, if anyone has any contacts there.

Thanks,
-spp