[colug-432] Dual Monitor Color Correction

Rob Haag rhaag71 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:15:35 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 03:46:02 AM Rob Haag wrote:
> > Does anybody have any experience with color correction for a dual monitor
> > setup. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome 2.32 desktop (and compiz), I
> > have two brand new, identical displays and am having quite a color
> > difference. I'm also using an Nvidia card with proprietary drivers, and
> > both displays are connect via DVI. I have tried resetting both display's
> > settings to factory...several times. I have also tried swapping the
> cables
> > around, and the color remains per display (it is obvious, one has quite a
> > red hue on certain items and the other has a green).
>
> My approach would be to ignore the software and video card (except for
> displaying test patterns), and concentrate on the monitors.
>
> Don't get hung up on the monitors being nominally identical. There are
> always
> manufacturing differences in components. Factory-reset won't get you
> anywhere
> except back to a reasonable starting point, not a final destination.
>
> Do the displays have a way to set the color temperature? Make sure they're
> both set to the same one if possible. If not, maybe there's a way you can
> fine-tune the colors of each monitor.
>
> After that you can use various calibration pattern images on the web to set
> the brightness and contrast individually.
> A couple relevant links for this:
>  http://photographerusa.com/screencheck/
>  http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
>    (scroll down to Gamma and black level chart)
> Or google for monitor calibration.

Your right, I guess the 'identical' monitor is most valuable to me for their
same geometry...which is still great. After I posted last night, I played
with the color settings, which gave me hope. Your suggestions will help
much, thanks. I did google around for calibration techniques, but some of
these guys are real color geeks. I just don't want an 'obvious' difference
when spanning both displays. The test patter is a good suggestion too, I was
spanning a window across and looking at elements like a 'bar' at the top,
etc. I found Gnome Color Manager which will help manage color profiles
(.icc)...but thats probably more than I need right now too. The issue I was
having was trying to use software to adjust color, it would only do this
with both units at once. So I think you are right for what I need, and that
is to focus on the display itself with some test patterns. I think I will
just match one to the other to make it easier. I'll post back if I discover
anything interesting though. Thanks