[colug-432] Dual Monitor Color Correction

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Aug 17 09:59:33 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 03:46:02 AM Rob Haag wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with color correction for a dual monitor
> setup. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome 2.32 desktop (and compiz), I
> have two brand new, identical displays and am having quite a color
> difference. I'm also using an Nvidia card with proprietary drivers, and
> both displays are connect via DVI. I have tried resetting both display's
> settings to factory...several times. I have also tried swapping the cables
> around, and the color remains per display (it is obvious, one has quite a
> red hue on certain items and the other has a green).

My approach would be to ignore the software and video card (except for
displaying test patterns), and concentrate on the monitors.

Don't get hung up on the monitors being nominally identical. There are always
manufacturing differences in components. Factory-reset won't get you anywhere
except back to a reasonable starting point, not a final destination.

Do the displays have a way to set the color temperature? Make sure they're
both set to the same one if possible. If not, maybe there's a way you can
fine-tune the colors of each monitor.

After that you can use various calibration pattern images on the web to set
the brightness and contrast individually.
A couple relevant links for this:
  http://photographerusa.com/screencheck/
  http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
    (scroll down to Gamma and black level chart)
Or google for monitor calibration.