[colug-432] IBM Keyboard Oddness

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Aug 18 17:07:48 EDT 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:22:27 -0400, Rob Funk <rfunk at funknet.net> wrote:

> I'm probably the only geek around that doesn't actually like loud clicky
> keyboards.

You're not the only one.

I like the eraser stub enough to put up with the noise.

> ... my IBM KB-8923 ...  It's rubber-dome, but it's *good* rubber-dome.

IBM sold their keyboard stuff to Lexmark.
Lexmark sold their keyboard stuff to Unicomp[1].
Check out Unicomp's whole line of keyboards:
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html
They are probably still making your (not so noisy) keyboard.
Your keyboard is not expensive on ebay.
It does not hurt to have spare keyboards.

I usually put my key caps in a plastic bucket with 50/50 mixture
of very warm water and Top Job, just enough to get them all wet.
Swish the keys around, and grime disappears. _No_ scrubbing is
required. Set the caps on a towel and wait for them to dry.
Of course the last note is to take a picture before removing
the key caps.

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Model_M_keyboard