[colug-432] Off site email hosting

Angelo angelo at mccomis.com
Mon Aug 29 10:04:27 EDT 2011

David - I know where you're coming from. At one time, I ran my mail though a spam filter kit that I liken to the way the commercial spam filters are built: using a layered defense strategy. I blocked known RBL IPs on connection; I verified the recipient and sender address were valid, I used distributed checksum checking, spamassassin rules updated daily on a feed, virus definitions updated hourly, ocr of graphic images to look for image spam, and so on. My hit rate on killing spam was near perfection and my false positives were equally as good.

The beauty of my system was that the earliest checks in the stack were also the least resource-intensive. Only after a message had passed the early tests would my system spend the system resources to scan the content beyond that.  The system works very well end very efficiently.

But then I realized the overhead of running that, and the amount of touch required is more time than I have. Kids, real job, family stuff-- or spend every available minute of spare time maintaining mail...

Enter gmail:  I run my domain there, and have pop, imap, catch-all, and any other reasonable feature available to me. The spam filtering is a learning filter so it gets better the more mail of yours it sees.

Bottom line:  gmail is as good as what I can do on my own, free, and I don't have to worry about it.  The difference in the spam it doesn't catch (less than one piece per week) versus the time commitment I no longer make managing mail made it a no brainer.

Angelo