[colug-432] CentOS

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 18 10:21:01 EST 2011

Ubuntu is starting to piss off a lot of their users, as well.  The most
recent version, 11.10, forces you to use Unity, even if you've been
using Gnome all this time.  If you want to use Gnome again, you have to
install it manually.  I'm not sure what the designers intended for
Unity, but right now it's a featureless pile of crap and not ready for
prime time.

Gnome 3 has its own problems, too.  For example, nautilus has dropped
the --browser option but still has it in the man page.  Plus, nautilus
refuses to start if you use that switch.  The user has to go through and
manually edit all nautilus*.desktop files and remove the switch so that
you can launch it from the menus.  Also, some configuration file
somewhere has randomly assigned the down arrow key and the end key to
the compose key.  I haven't figured out which one does that yet.

I'm not sure what the distribution makers are thinking but apparently it
isn't confined to just one.  You'd think they would want to make Linux
more user friendly, not less, if they want to make inroads onto the desktop.