[colug-432] are the meetings on google calendar?

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Dec 19 09:39:33 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck at spamcop.net> wrote:
> Have everyone forgotten about Yahoo? Why does the herd of independent thinkers have its telescope fixed on Google?

So ... based on this, and since I am intentionally NOT religious about
this stuff, I tried to share my Yahoo calendar with my Google ID.  No
joy.

Last time I considered Yahoo, I was put off that they charged me to
activate POP or IMAP.  Googoo didn't, so they roped me in that way.  I
know that Yahoo lets you IM (with clients) at no charge, so on your
tip, Steve, I checked out their calendar.  They do ICS.  Yay!  When I
clicked "Share" it sent email (Yahoo to Googoo) with how-to.  When I
read the how-to, it wanted me to sign up for a Yahoo account.
Bzzzttt!!!

Okay, so I tried going the other direction.  (share the Googoo cal
with Yahoo)  Found the ICS URL to my GCal, went to Yahoo "Subscribe"
function, pasted it, and got ...

        "The address you entered could not be found.
         Please try again or ask the calendar owner to send you a
valid iCal address."

[sigh]

For the sake of the COLUG calendar, it doesn't really matter.  Both
GCal and YCal have read-only mode without all this pain.