[colug-432] More Centos^WUbuntu

Neal Dias roman at ensecure.org
Tue Dec 20 17:03:05 EST 2011

Disgusted with Gnome 3 on Fedora 15 (wtf, I can't minimize a window?
wtf did all the menu's go? WTF?!), and hearing about the issues with
Unity, I'm back to Ubuntu 10 LTS. I don't rearrange my physical
desktop every six months, nor would I appreciate coming home to find
the pull handles and knobs had been replaced on all my desk drawers
and my toolbox all rearranged. WTF do I want that same thing to happen
to my "virtual" desktop?

With Ubuntu LTS 10, all my desktop "stuff" is where I expect it to be,
I haven't had to fight with firefox/java/flash issues since Fedora was
chucked, I can use my multiple monitors with compiz (yes, I actually
use the cube for it's functionality. Besides, I keep a "cheat sheet"
as the graphic for the top of the cube, great for quick brain jolts),
and things still work as I expect.

That's what I'm looking for out of a desktop; functionality "as I've
become accustomed to it" not changed to suit the whim of the ever
finicky and innovation hungry community. (I'm starting to wonder which
community we're referring to, the developers community, or the users,
the distinction is becoming more and more prevalent).

-nd