[colug-432] Android

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Thu Dec 29 20:49:32 EST 2011

As for android phones and rooting.

I had been with ATT for years, wanted an android phone, just bought a google nexus one (htc) off of google.

This gave me android without all of the layers and controls put on top of it by a provider.
Cost a fair amount, but the carriers get their $$ sooner or later via a contract.

Saved me the concern of
A: having a contract (I had been with ATT since 2006 so they seemed to tolerate me putting my sim card in this device as long as I had a data plan)
B: having to violate that contract by rooting the phone..

This talk about phones and carriers and proprietary this and contract that has made me angry.. .. I assume Electronic Frontier foundation works towards freedom in this area.

--
Tom