[colug-432] su broken on fedora f14

Vince Herried vince at planetvince.info
Sun Feb 20 14:13:32 EST 2011

I installed F14 on my laptop and liked it so Friday I installed
it on my desktop. Normal stuff no problems.

I used visu and setup sudo so my normal account could do everything.

---- Here comes the mystery ------

        At some point 'su -' stopped working  with a complaint that i was
        using the wrong password for root.

        system commands that prompt for a root password work fine
        with the same password that 'su -' fails

        sudo works fine.

        I single user booted and re-set the root password with
        "passwd"

        rebooted ... same problem

        tried "sudo passwd root" to set root passwd again.
        no joy

        again Fedora programs that prompt for root passwords work fine.

        I used the Fedora/gnome gui to look at user 'root'
        and to set the root password.  it displays a gui with old password
        as a number of '*'  fewer than the number of characters in root's password.
        Huh?
        Used the Gui to set the password... as I type it in... shows '*' for each
        character...
        display it again... shows fewer "*" than it contains.

        symptom persists.  Starting to think the command 'su - ' is dorked.

iirc  'su' is contained in rpm 'coreutils'
-------
f u cn rd ths, itn tyg h myxbl cd.