[colug-432] Linux / Bash book recommendations

Peter Kukla fruviad at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 19:00:21 EST 2011

"Learning the Bash Shell" from O'Reilly is one of my favorites for information about the command line.  It remains one of the first books I pull from my shelf to look-up some arcane detail about shell scripting.

"Running Linux" (another O'Reilly one) is also good, covering both basic shell use and the operating system from a 20,000' overview.  It's not one that I reference much anymore, but that's probably because I have practically memorized it over the years.  I can't vouch for the latest edition (2005 according to O'Reilly's site), but I have a copy of the first edition (1995) at my fingertips and while a minor-but-significant chunk of that edition is dated and not very helpful, there is still a LOT of other stuff in there that would be valuable for any Linux user.  I presume the latest editions have appropriate updates.