[colug-432] Windows Safe Mode

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at spamcop.net
Sun Feb 27 19:17:05 EST 2011

Not to be disrespectful of the group, but I assume most everyone here has
to manage at least one Windows box (XP in this case).

MS reps say that SP3 should be installed only via safe mode. MS's website
says if upgrading one box only (as we all do for our friends) one should
use the download offered by Automatic Updates since is - ahem, allegedly
- smaller and more appropriate.

One cannot, however, do both unless the box is configured to accept
automatic updates in safe mode. Last year I had to figure this out. Today
I had to do it again. Imagine my surprise when I discoved my own
correction of someone else's incomplete and non-working fix on the web. I
thought I'd offer it here as well, for what it's worth, since this may be
usefull for situations other than simply installing SP3.

Apply the following REG file to your Windows XP box and you will then be
able to run Automatic Updates in safe mode - and don't forget the final
carriage return at the end of the file befor saving it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\BITS]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\ose]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\wuauserv]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\BITS]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\ose]
@="Service"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\wuauserv]
@="Service"