[colug-432] tunnelled IPv6 -- was: Looking for info on Columbus

Ed Liddle ed at someplaceinohio.net
Sun Feb 27 19:00:00 EST 2011

I emailed time warner about IPV6 just for general information. I was told
that time warner was going to install dual stack equipment in each region in
2010-2011 that could handle both IPv4 and IPv6.
I am curious if its going to be available in the next year or so for
residential use based on this info.
I hope this info helps.

-Ed

On Feb 27, 2011 11:16 AM, "R P Herrold" <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Richard Troth wrote:

> I'm on TWC/RR cablemodem now, but have also used AT&T/SWBT
> DSL. Biggest appeal of DSL for me was the option of having a
> static address. ... I would love to get IPv6, but am not
> aware of it in Columbus (other than via tunnel).

Interesting observation.  IPv6 (through a tunnel broker, or
native) pretty well solves the need for statics.  I've
been in discussion with a datacenter I use for a native
ipv6, and we have gotten an allocationin there as a result.
But I don't know of a residential service provider offering
such in Columbus, yet.

What is your problem with a tunnelled ipv6 connection?  They
are pretty trivial to set up, and I've not noticed any
'lagginess' with the ones I've used?

-- Russ herrold