[colug-432] Streaming

Steve Roggenkamp roggenkamps at acm.org
Sun Jan 9 19:04:32 EST 2011

I'm not sure, but here are some guesses:

1. Broadcasters send their signals to the ether and they do not know who
is actually watching.  Thus, services like Nielsen  figure this out and
sell their results.  With the internet, publishers know who is viewing
each file and can gather marketing data on viewers.  This is valuable
data which they want to maximize.

2. Early experiences with digital media being pirated on the internet
created a big challenge for the content publisher's revenues.  It's very
easy for just about anyone to set up a web site to share bootlegged
files compared to setting up a pirate broadcasting station.  The FCC
takes a very dim view of pirate broadcasting stations, so there are
relatively few pirate broadcasting stations and they do not present a
problem for content publishers.

3. Most (all?) modern consumer DVRs are essentially controlled by the
cable or media companies, so they still control our experience and can
gather viewer data.  (I've not built a mythTV set yet although it might
be one of my projects for the year).

My $0.02.

Steve