[colug-432] Recent change in retry behavior from large e-mail sites, affecting greylisting?

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Wed Jan 12 08:53:54 EST 2011

I have changed reverse DNS and changed the A of an MX record in the past
3 months, and did a conversion of an exposed mail handler, moving it
behind a NAT firewall.  However, I've looked closely at those changes
and these issues do not seem to coincide with this.  It seems to have
started the week of Christmas.

I have seen several bounce notifications, and no, they are the typical
"hide all useful information from the ill-informed user" style you get
from consumer mail services.  I can track the initial connections back
in my logs and see the 451 4.7.1 greylist rejection but, again, no
corresopnding tuple re-use, and there's not even sender/recipient pair
reuse within 24 hours in most cases.  This is primarily affecting
infrequent communications between known correspondents.

	-Bill