[colug-432] Recent change in retry behavior from large e-mail sites, affecting greylisting?

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Wed Jan 12 07:54:12 EST 2011

Speculation only here - - but perhaps a lot of the majors
(Yahoo/Google/MSN/AOL/etc) are doing "different" things in the wake of near
exhaustion of IPv4 numbering, using more resources in "the cloud," or with
resources being cramped, they simply don't bother to come back.  The
latter-most being non-RFC-compliant, as a 4xx error message is not to be
considered a perm fail, unlike a 5xx error.

Do the people who mail you ever share the error/bounce message back to you?
Does it have any clues?

I watch several lists where mail, spam, and trends like you mention would
light those other lists up like a Christmas Tree, yet there are no blow ups
on the other lists right now. Taking a current picture, the recent
discussions around anything close to this is an overall decreased in blocked
messages (indicating a smaller % of spam:legit email) because of a pretty
major spammer takedown a month or so ago.

Are you seeing any failures from unknown IPs later on? Has anything on your
side changed, such as your reverse DNS, MX records, etc?

--Angelo