[colug-432] Stoopid Question

Joshua Kramer josh at globalherald.net
Wed Jan 26 10:11:56 EST 2011

> Don't try to cram the Windows architecture pardigm into *IX if you want
> to learn about *IX.  You'll miss an awful lot.  ;-)

This reminds me of when I was a total *UX newb back in the 90's - around
kernel version 1.2.8.  I was running off of a 160MB hard disk and had to
create more space.  I didn't see any point to all these weird files in
/proc and /dev so I just deleted them... and wondered why the /proc files
kept coming back...

In many large *IX / *UX website installations I know of, all of the
websites are housed under /opt.  In fact, for my Django websites, I've
taken to including all non-system Python modules (including Django itself,
as well as psycopg2) in the website's lib directory instead of
/usr/lib/python24/site-packages.