[colug-432] Stoopid Question

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Wed Jan 26 10:05:57 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 09:44 -0500, Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> Richard you are giving me way too much credit. I'm not a +ux user, just
>  a wannabe and lurker trying to learn. Ideally I would just want three
>  directors at root: OS, Programs, Everything-Else, and each program to
>  have all of its files, except possible data, in its own subdirectory.

So...  what you really need is some basic training on how to recognize
vendor-supplied packages, partner/add-on package contents, self-built
packages, and some basic discipline on how to manage where you put your
stuff....  and a primer on the packaging tools for the distribution you
use.

Read about using dpkg, and use apt/synaptic on Ubuntu if you want to get
the basics.  Don't run as root (instead, set up at least one standard
user) and write your stuff in your home directory only.

Don't try to cram the Windows architecture pardigm into *IX if you want
to learn about *IX.  You'll miss an awful lot.  ;-)

	-Bill