[colug-432] Stoopid Question

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Jan 26 09:54:05 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck at spamcop.net> wrote:
> Richard you are giving me way too much credit. I'm not a +ux user, just a wannabe and lurker trying to learn. Ideally I would just want three directors at root: OS, Programs, Everything-Else, and each program to have all of its files, except possible data, in its own subdirectory.

This is basically what OSX does with its /Applications directory.

Each application in OSX is a zip file that gets unzipped when you
launch it. It makes installing (and removing) applications stupidly
easy: just drop the package into /Applications and it's installed.

>From the OSX GUI, one only sees a limited listing of the actual
directories on disk: /System, /Users, /Applications. From a command
line, though, you can see that all the familiar *NIX directories are
present.