[colug-432] Stoopid Question

Joshua Kramer josh at globalherald.net
Wed Jan 26 09:55:20 EST 2011

> Richard you are giving me way too much credit. I'm not a +ux user, just
> a wannabe and lurker trying to learn. Ideally I would just want three
> directors at root: OS, Programs, Everything-Else, and each program to
> have all of its files, except possible data, in its own subdirectory.

Some large applications already do this by throwing everything under /opt.
So, for example, in instances of OpenOffice not distributed by the OS
vendor, it creates /opt/OpenOffice.org3.

In your scheme, which Programs are not part of OS?  Those that you compile
and download yourself?  I could see that - if I download and install
non-standard applications I usually throw them under /opt.  Even little
programs like the venerable Joe editor.

While it might seem more logical in your mind to arrange your directories
in such a manner, is the benefit you'll derive worth the time you'll spend
hunting down issues?

Cheers,
-JK