[colug-432] Stoopid Question

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 10:26:00 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck at spamcop.net> wrote:
> I figured. I've never liked Linux's scheme of spreading out all the system
> directories. But inasmuch as the decision was made long ago I guess I'm
> left with it.

As others have mention, it's not "Linux's scheme" - UNIX, going back
to 1972, has had a similar system filestructure hierarchy (though it
has evolved slightly over the years - typically by addition, not by
rearrangement).

If you get lost, try 'man hier'.

It's no big deal to make an alternate hierarchy that overlays the
standard one, but the ripple effects of, say, trying to move /bin and
/usr/bin to /System/bin would, I think, prove to be more difficult
than you presently conceive (just start with the shebang mechanism -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_%28Unix%29 - and see how far down
the rabbit hole that takes you).

-ethan