[colug-432] Stoopid Question

Steve Roggenkamp roggenkamps at acm.org
Wed Jan 26 20:10:09 EST 2011

A research distribution, Nixos (http://www.nixos.org) attempts to
resolve this problem of library interference by completely redoing both
the file system hierarchy and the software build process into a new
packaging system called Nix.  From the website:

Nixos i** <http://nixos.org/nixos/>s a Nix-based Linux distribution.
Thanks to Nix, it supports atomic upgrades, rollbacks and multi-user
package management, and it has a declarative approach to system
configuration management that makes it easy to reproduce a configuration
on another machine.

Each time you build a package, it determines all of the dependencies
needed to build the package and uses them, as well as the package
contents to create a unique hash value for the package.  All packages
get put into the /nix/store directory.  This makes in very easy to have
multiple versions of a package without interfering with each other as
well as being able to easily rollback changes or switch versions.  I'm
also thinking it would make a very secure platform because it would be
very difficult for attackers to figure out which library to replace or
where critical programs reside.

Steve