[colug-432] RHEL6 derivatives on Netbooks?

Joshua Kramer josh at globalherald.net
Sat Jul 2 14:30:51 EDT 2011

Howdy All,

Who has installed SL6 on a Netbook with the Intel video chipset?

I have an Acer Aspire One with 1024x600 resolution and Intel 3150 video
chipset.  When RHEL6 Beta came out, I attempted to install on the Acer.
However, I could not coax the Intel X driver to run the laptop at full
resolution - it was stuck at 800x600.  The version of Xorg included with
RHEL6 purported to include the proper drivers for this chipset, but the
Xorg driver could not find it.

I'm currently running FC14 but would like to upgrade to a RHEL6
derivative.  CentOS isn't out yet and they stick with RHEL binary
compatibility anyway.  Does SL6 have the right driver?

I tried to run the SL6 livedvd from a USB stick, but upon boot it
complained about not being able to mount the root FS.  Before I spend a
lot of time on this I'd like to know if I can get it to work...

Thanks!
-JK