[colug-432] Netbook -> SL6

Brian Miller bnmille at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:57:32 EDT 2011

On 07/27/2011 12:32 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:

> Howdy Gang,
>
> I have a netbook on which I would like to install Scientific Linux 6. I
> also have the LiveDVD version of SL6 on a USB stick (actually
> USB->MicroSD adapter). When I attempt to boot from the USB stick, I get
> the splash screen, then after a while, it complains about not being able
> to mount a filesystem.

Have you successfully booted the live CD on other boxes?

> Has anyone encountered this "unable to mount filesystem" error, when
> attempting to install from USB stick? I will bring the machine to the
> meeting tonight.

I have an Acer AspireOne netbook.  When I first got it, I managed to get
it to boot off of a USB stick.  I forgot what distribution that was.
But I also recall having one distribution not work.  I think that was
tied to the file system on the USB stick.  I had originally done vfat,
but I believe I had to use an older DOS format, something like FAT16,
rather than the standard FAT32.