[colug-432] Installing Ubuntu from USB Flash Drive

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Fri Jul 29 10:19:04 EDT 2011

On Friday, July 29, 2011 08:16:58 AM Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> I tried to install Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 64 (10.4 LTS or whatever), by
> following the instructions on their site to install from a USB flash
> drive. I done everything exactly right. But the install failed partway
> through when the installer alleged that it could not find the CD ROM
> driver.

I don't know for sure if this will solve the problem, but I recently came
across a more flexible way of booting from USB flash drives that just *might*
help.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-via-grub2-using-linux/

The basic idea is that you put the actual CD image on the drive as a file, and
set up the grub2 boot loader to boot it. (For my purposes it's great because
it allows booting any of many different images from one flash drive, and
easily updating which ones are there.)

As I said, I don't know for sure if it will solve the install problem, but it
may help since the files are accessed differently.

Or it may not work. Let us know if you try it!  :-)