[colug-432] Installing Ubuntu from USB Flash Drive

Chris Clonch chris at theclonchs.com
Fri Jul 29 15:37:36 EDT 2011

 On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:16:58 -0400, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> The problem is described at
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10919698 - I would like help
> in how to solve it.

 My guess is the way the USB installation media is being created and
 like Rob mentioned a bug with Ubuntu's installer.  From the log it
 appears to still be looking for packages in /cdrom, which probably where
 the normal installer mounts the CD-ROM.  So your installations croaks
 when it doesn't find the CD.  If I get some more time (I really should
 get back to work), I will look at your forum post in depth and see if
 anything sticks out.  I haven't looked at the guide for setting up
 Ubuntu USB installation media in a while...

 You'll find that since Linux, in the general sense of the word, is a
 moving target, documentation/instructions/guides/tutorials/etc may not
 be perfect.  As a new user, be prepared to have to roll up your sleeves
 and dig in (with lots of Google searching).  Nothing will turn off other
 users quicker than the expectation of help.  Reading your forum post, it
 is clear that you may not understand how open-source works in that most
 company-backed software do not offer support unless you pay for a
 support contract.  A lot of OSS is very much a DIY affair.

 -Chris