[colug-432] Installing Ubuntu from USB Flash Drive

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 29 11:11:46 EDT 2011

I'm not sure I understtand what you're telling me, but I think I need to rephrase:

My goal is to install ubuntu from a USB flash drive, not from a CD.
There are instructions on the Ubuntu site on how to do this. I followed them.
Attempting the install failed for alleged lack of a CD ROM driveR.
I don't know why I need a CD ROM driveR to install from a USB flash drivE.
I want to the USB flash drive to work, but don't know what is wrong or what to do to fix it, problem described at the forums the link to which I poste din the previous message.

> Is it acceptable to you to install from somebody else's external USB optical drive?
No - because that won't solve my problem or teach me how to troubleshoot and solve it myself.