[colug-432] Relubing Fans

Thomas W. cranston cranston.thomas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 16:06:12 EDT 2011

On 06/03/2011 05:57 PM, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> When relubing computer fans, I was wary of using 3 in 1 oil.
> Maybe I have stumbled into more of a clue about this.
>
>     Avoid 3 in 1 multipurpose oil;
>     3 in 1 (NON-DETERGENT!!!) motor oil (in the blue can) is OK;
>     1 quart of of non-detergent motor oil is fine and will last a lifetime. [1]
>
> WD40 is a penetrant and can damage some plastics.
> WD40 is a lousy lubricant.
> WD40 evaporates.
>
> [1] http://www.fancollectors.org/info/Lubrication.htm
>      http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/motor.html

Check out bobistheoilguy.com/forums and scroll down to:

Heavy and Industrial Lubrication --> Penetrating Oils/Cleaners/Solvents
(http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=32&page=1)

Don't know if you have to join the forum to see that page. I am very
impressed w/bobistheoilguy. Best I have read about oil. I have not
perused the area about penetrating oil.

Tom