[colug-432] Posting in Multiple Forums (was Re: Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 PCI sequencer problems)

Richard Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 19:55:50 EDT 2011

Kids these days ;)

Old school rules, IIRC, from usenet days when people would crosspost to a bunch of groups. You didn't have to go visit a bunch of web forums - you could kind of say that if put in today's terms usenet "aggregated" (and distributed) the posts to other usenet servers - os.linux group on the roadrunner servers had the same messages as the group at OSU. It was very easy to xpost (post to more than one group), and very easy for ppl to see that you'd xposted - annoying everyone subscribed to more than one of the groups who got xposted to. Hence, crossposting is considered bad form - even rude.

That said, old school or not, I generally still try to abide by the rules all the same.  Find the most likely place that might have some info or insight and if I don't get any help and haven't figured it out - then I might post elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone