[colug-432] Posting in Multiple Forums (was Re: Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 PCI sequencer problems)

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Fri Jun 24 21:55:39 EDT 2011

>> Show of hands: how many people on COLUG also subscribe to that other
>> list and saw both posts?
>
> I saw the MDLug one

Okay, that's two confirmed. Anyone else suffer the tragedy of having
to read the same message twice? You have my deepest sympathies for the
tremendous loss of your time.

>> What possible benefit is there to grousing about this
>> multiple posting other than to make yourself feel important?
>
> to shine a light on misbehaviour, in hopes of detering such
> going forward, and so to increase Signal to Noise ?  The
> tragedy of the commons happens when no-one carps.  the battle
> against entropy is endless, and rust never sleeps

Looking for help is misbehavior now? Asking (perceived) subject matter
experts _and_ one's local network of technical peers is misbehavior?

> I whacked a person who always takes and does not contribute on
> main centos ML earlier today for that very reason;

Whacking--

> then I made
> sure the wiki, and the main website Mailing list policies,
> and admin's procedures were up to date (they were not) and
> literate English (the wiki was a bit of a mish-mash), and so I
> cleaned it up; then another proofreader who watches all wiki
> commits came in behind me and cleaned MY edits to shininess

Positive role modeling++

Carrots will usually produce better results than sticks.

> so .. carping about cross-posting CAN yield positive reactions

Was this an issue of someone "always taking" without giving back?

What's the point of a peer support group like COLUG if one can't rely
on the group for their collective technical expertise? The presumption
of "giving back" is nice, but hardly a firm mandate. And even if it
were a firm requirement for participation, the "contribute as you can"
nature of mailing lists means it's very likely someone else will give
the answer you would have given before you even check your messages!

I realize the irony of my being guilty of that against which I'm
railing, but really -- did Jim's original message benefit the list as
a whole? Would a private, personal email accomplishe the same results
in a more positive, constructive manner?

It's ComFest weekend, everyone. Relax. Listen to some music. Enjoy the
community.