[colug-432] Posting in Multiple Forums (was Re: Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 PCI sequencer problems)

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Jun 24 20:30:14 EDT 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Scott Merrill wrote:

> Oh the horror of someone seeking help in venues you frequent!
>
> Show of hands: how many people on COLUG also subscribe to that other
> list and saw both posts?

I saw the MDLug one

> What possible benefit is there to grousing about this
> multiple posting other than to make yourself feel important?

to shine a light on misbehaviour, in hopes of detering such
going forward, and so to increase Signal to Noise ?  The
tragedy of the commons happens when no-one carps.  the battle
against entropy is endless, and rust never sleeps

I whacked a person who always takes and does not contribute on
main centos ML earlier today for that very reason; then I made
sure the wiki, and the main website Mailing list policies,
and admin's procedures were up to date (they were not) and
literate English (the wiki was a bit of a mish-mash), and so I
cleaned it up; then another proofreader who watches all wiki
commits came in behind me and cleaned MY edits to shininess

so .. carping about cross-posting CAN yield positive reactions

... jus' sayin'

-- Russ herrold