[colug-432] Lenny package installation problem

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Thu Mar 10 15:05:28 EST 2011

On Thursday, March 10, 2011 02:33:30 pm Robert Grimm wrote:
> I have a mail and web server running Lenny that I can't install or
> update packages on. Dpkg has problems with Breaks.

"problems with Breaks"? Can you elaborate on that? I don't understand what
that means.

> I found a site that
> said the fix for that is to manually install it.

What site? How manual? What "it" are we talking about?

> I tried, but it
> failed because libc6 is out of date. I tried installing the version
> that it required, but since I have a kernel in the 2.4 series, I have
> to upgrade to 2.6. I tried to do that, but it failed because I don't
> have a new enough libc6. I seem to be stuck in a chicken and egg
> problem.

It should work to install them both at once, e.g.:
  apt-get install libc6 linux-2.6
But I may not be interpreting your initial problem correctly.

> I really just need to update PHP5, but I can't do that until
> I get this resolved. I've considered getting a Squeeze disc and
> updating from that, but there is no good time for that because I have
> people relying on it for mail. I'm also afraid of Qmail not working
> afterward. What should I do?

Qmail is broken and should be replaced with Postfix, but that's beside the
point.  /flamebait

The best way to handle an upgrade like that may be to set everything up on a
separate machine, and then cut over to the new one when it's ready.
Alternately, announce an X-hour window when the machine will be unavailable
(such as early on a Sunday morning), and dist-upgrade then. (Be sure to do
full backups first!) Remember that incoming email will queue up on the sending
servers for up to a few days while your machine is inaccessible.

Remember, you'll need to upgrade this machine at some point, whether it's now
or in three years.