[colug-432] Packet Loss

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Mon Oct 10 13:18:05 EDT 2011

On Monday, October 10, 2011 10:26:14 am Thomas W. cranston wrote:
> Wondering why I am getting packet loss between my laptop and Linksys
> wireless router.

A little packet loss occasionally is a good thing. Google for "bufferbloat".

Beyond that, you really need a *long* run of pings to really get valid data.
4 just tells you there's something at the other end. 16 is a start, but 160
is better.

But it's possible that there's other traffic using the bandwidth (I learned
this way that PulseAudio has a nasty bug that can cause multicast floods),
or possibly a bug in either the access point or your laptop.

tcpdump might give you a clue, if the problem is other traffic.

I ended up buying a USB spectrum analyzer to find out what was going on with
my network. (It was less than $100 at Micro Center.)  That mainly showed me
when things were bad; tcpdump was what pointed to multicast pulseaudio as
the culprit.