[colug-432] Packet Loss #2

Thomas W. cranston cranston.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:15:20 EDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 05:02 AM, William Yang wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 07:41 PM, Thomas W. cranston wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Just connected to a different wireless router while at my neighbors
>> house. No Packet loss.
>>

>> Looks like my wireless router is at fault. What to do?
>>
> Do you own any other wireless devices in your home?  Is it possible you've
> added some kind of interference to your home?
>
> Do you have other uses of the 2.4 GHz spectrum in or around your home?
> Cordless phones come to mind as the most likely, but I've seen radio
> controlled toys that run in that space, as well as a variety of other
> system devices that use wireless services -- including some cordless
> keyboards and mice.
>
> Not to point to an elephant in a room or anything, but also it's quite
> possible the Linksys device is failing and needs to be replaced.
>
> 	-Bill

Hi

I just replaced the wireless router and broadband modem. No packet loss.

I used a Linksys Wireless-G  Model WRT54G Ver 2.2 (I think It is one
that can be loaded w/Linux). It had been sitting around for a long time.
I found another DLink Dl 705 broadband MODEM, just like the one I had
for $4.99. Also picked up another USR external Faxmodem  for a spare $3.
Not a bad day.

The DLink broadband modem was working, but gave up the ghost last night.
Has done it before, but would operate again if left unplugged overnight,
and reset. Wonder whats with that? Never seemed hot. Will keep it for a
while to see if it works again.

Tom